The Prince and the Priceless Possession

 

Photo by Tony Mucci on Unsplash

Years and years ago, in a majestic palace adorned with gold chandeliers and silk carpets, there lived an honoured king who had gained the respect and love of his people for uplifting them from their poverty-stricken lives; he had made every person in his nation happy, except for his one and only son and child, the prince.

The young prince neither smiled nor laughed, he sat all day miserable and deprived of happiness. The distressed king showered the prince with wealth and gave him beautiful women, camels and horses, but the prince was never happy. 

"What do you want more, son?" asked the king. 

The prince bowed his head and remained voiceless on his imposing throne. He was a pathetic sight.

One day, before going to bed, the prince peered curiously from his lofty bedroom window. There appeared an old man tottering down a steep road, he hobbled and limped. The prince stared at the old man and watched him settle near a tree. The old man laid a tattered fibre mat and fell asleep - curled up and shivering from the harsh cold wind. He had a smile wider than any smile the prince had ever seen. The prince looked at his comfortable bed covered in cosy blankets and warm pillows, and then at his grieved face in the grand mirror.

"What belonging makes this gentleman so cheerful?" said the prince to himself, "I will seek it by tomorrow.".

The next day the prince furtively left the palace and approached the old man.

"Good gentleman, what is it that keeps you so happy?" questioned the young prince.

"Your majesty," said the shabbily dressed old man, "It is neither gold nor silver."

"What is the belonging then? Inform me so that you may be uplifted from your poverty!" said the prince.

"You come from a Royal family," asserted the old man, "I want however no reward for answering your question. But let me inform you of my situation so that you may comprehend.".

"Tell me, tell me wise man!" said the eager prince.

"I possess very little," he pointed to his dress and fibre mat, "And I am not a man of status or wealth. I've lost my vigour to work and my children have abandoned me ." explained the old man, "Yet, I have a priceless possession, it isn't visible but it is felt." he raised his hand towards his chest, "It is here, Royal son, here. It is in my heart."

"How is it that you own something that I don't? Guide me to attain it or share with me a portion of it, so that you may be uplifted from your poverty!" cried the prince.

"Young man, I can't share this possession!" laughed the old man, "But let me guide you to it. Travel until you meet a wood which will diverge into three paths. A straight path, a corrupt path and another equally corrupt path. Ask the men who own them regarding their paths and choose from them wisely. Happiness lays in one of them.".

The prince leapt, elated to discover a route to the one thing he was deprived of. And so, after thanking his saviour, the young prince set off.

Weeks and weeks later, he met a wood which diverged into three paths. Before each path, a man stood guarding his path.

"Wise guards, guide me to the path which will lead me to happiness." said the prince to the men.

"Royal Highness!" shouted the first man, "Enter my path! I'm Greed. If you choose my path you will be led to prosperity and you will be of the affluent people." said Greed.

"Royal Highness!" roared the second man, "Enter my path! I'm Pride. If you choose my path you will be led to a high social position and you will be of the honoured people." said Pride.

"Royal Highness!" exclaimed the third man, "Enter my path! I'm Gratitude. If you choose my path you will be led to happiness and you will be of the content people." said Gratitude, "Enter my path! Enter! I entreat!".

The prince stood bewildered at the three men who hospitably opened the gates which led to their paths. He gazed at each man's eager face and clenched his hands with nervousness.

"Good Greed," he said and turned to the first man, "I've travelled on your path until this day and yet never been content nor happy." ,

"Good Pride," said the prince and turned to the second man, "I've travelled on your path until this day and yet never been content nor happy.".

The prince turned to the third man, " Dignified Gratitude," he said, "I've never travelled your path - you promise happiness, therefore," he neared the third man, "I choose your path.". 

The other two men were enraged and their eyes were filled with fury. The prince stepped onto Gratitude's path and ambled calmly.

And so from that day onwards, he was the happiest Royal man of his nation.


THE END.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eid gifts (1)

Eid gifts (2)

5 ways to decorate jars